In response to the many requests for a statement on the benefits of installed window film products the International Window Film Association has compiled the following information.
This list may not include all potential applications and depending on the product recommendations, many products will not provide all of the benefits listed. It is the responsibility of the installing dealer, as well as the informed consumer, to determine which window film product will best suit their need. Working with an International Window Film Association (IWFA) accredited “Solar Control Specialist” assures the consumer that the dealer they are working with has successfully completed testing on important areas of technical and installation expertise.
All window films typically offer:
- Up to 99% Ultraviolet (UV) light reduction resulting in:
- Significant fade protection for furniture, carpet, draperies, wood, etc.
- Reduced fabric/textile deterioration
- Reduced exposure to UV radiation, which has been linked to certain cancers.
- Increased shatter resistance resulting in:
- Increased peace of mind
- Increased safety for family & friends
Heavy gauge security films offer significant benefits from:
- Natural disasters such as violent storms, earthquake, high winds, etc.
- Vandalism, terrorist bombings, smash & grab, etc.
- Scratching/graffiti (glass tagging) on exterior windows, restroom mirrors, elevator doors and glass, and similar flat/smooth surfaces
Scratch resistant hard coating protects against:
- Accidental abrasion and product deterioration from normal cleaning
- Hazy appearance typical with plastic type materials
- Good performance in all climates
Metallized/solar control window film can provide significantly reduced solar heat gain resulting in:
- Increased comfort
- Reduced air conditioning costs
- Reduced HVAC equipment wear and tear/maintenance
- Increased fade resistance
- Glare reduction
- Daytime privacy
- Attractive accent to home and business windows
- Lower energy demands from utilities resulting in:
- Lower overall energy costs
- Decreased demand for new power generating facilities
- Decreased environmental emissions